Man Accused Of Pulling Knife On Pedestrians
A Cuba man has been charged after he allegedly pulled a knife on two people June 1.
Richard Whipp faces one count each of second-degree assault, armed criminal action and unlawful use of weapon — exhibiting.
According to the probable cause statement, officers were dispatched to the area of Charles Avenue and Theresa Street around 6:45 p.m. following a report of a disturbance involving a weapon. Whipp is alleged to have pulled a knife on two individuals and was being physically restrained by one of them.
Whipp was being held on the ground near a ditch along Charles Avenue. Whipp was immediately recognized by law enforcement due to prior encounters. After the officer ordered the bystander to release him, Whipp was detained in handcuffs for safety.
A Cuba police officer recovered a knife from the ground near where Whipp had been restrained. The knife was described as a 7-inch, single-edged silver tactical knife and taken into evidence.
When asked about the incident, Whipp reportedly told officers, “I was having a bad day and those guys were looking at me wrong, so I confronted them.”
He remained combative and insisted he had done nothing wrong.
The two men involved told police they were walking to Casey’s when they saw a dispute near the 300 block of Martin Street.
As they continued walking, Whipp allegedly stepped into the street, verbally threatened to cut them and brandished the knife from a holster on his belt.
One of the victims told officers he disarmed Whipp and took him to the ground in self-defense while the other called 911.
Whipp was transported to the Crawford County Jail and placed on a 24-hour hold.
